Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Nothing enrages me more than hearing people belittling exotic dancers. I despise the fact that strippers are typically depicted as horrible, broken and abused women. In fact, my life couldn't be further from that stereotype.

I was raised by two amazing parents who have been happily married for over 30 years. I have three brothers and sisters, whom I am very close to. As a child, I was always very curious and read just about every book that I could find. I also loved learning and experiencing new things. After high school, I attended a university and graduated with a bachelor's degree in journalism.

For years, I have become increasingly annoyed at the many stereotypes that surround exotic dancers. Not all strippers are drug addicts, alcoholics or prostitutes (not that there is anything wrong with being any of those things-they're just not for me).

Stripping is excellent money, and an easy way to make a living. That is all. In a perfect world, dancers would not be classified as stupid, useless or slutty. People would realize that dancing is actually a very empowering and profitable career when done intelligently and properly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Absolutely. I was standing in line at the bank last week watching a young girl struggle organizing her cash. She noticed me and said, "Don't worry, I'm not a stripper." I said, "I wouldn't care if you were." She then felt the need to add, "I'm a server. This isn't dirty money." I was caught a bit off guard, but later that day wrote a letter "To the Girl Who is Not a Stripper." I'd be happy to share it if interested.